Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ready... Set... Go….

Arrive in Busan. Su picks me up. Lots of neon, lots of people. Apartment is awesome. Wake, explore a bit, nap, meet my students… fall asleep in orientation. At the supermarket, meet a Canadian named Kevin… he offers a quick tour. I take it. Still very jet-legged. With Kevin and some people on our roof, it’s 8:30, they’re ready to hit the bars and insist I party with them. I shake my head and say “goodnight.” They respond by calling me a “pussy.” I readily agree and reply that “I’m sorry, but my eyes literally are shutting by the minute.”

Have a reoccurring nightmare that I slept through OSU’s first game. Awake abruptly with sweat dripping down my face. Decide I have a problem.

Snap some photos, see some sights, eat Pizza Hut (not sure why). Ride in a jam-packed elevator… I’m the tallest person by at least 2 inches… this is a first. Begin teaching class. Have a moment of clarity and decide Monty was quite possibly the cutest Asian kid ever.

Sitting on the floor of a Korean style restaurant in an older part of town with my friend Sarah, her boyfriend and a couple from Australia. The food is decent. Suddenly, I spot a cockroach en route to our table. It’s rather gross, so I make a disgusted face and leap to my feet. A Korean man next to us smashes the bug with his bare hand. Dude’s real!

After eating more food and having some rice-wine (which we drink out of bowls while sitting on the floor) at a bar across the street, we’re now on a side street in one of like a hundred tents that have full bars inside. Only in Asia!

At the beach… crazy crowded… but crazy beautiful. Meet a surfer named Ryan… tells me the best places to surf (or in my case, to learn to surf). Back from the beach. Kevin and I meet up with some people at a bar down the street. The sound of shattered glass catches our attention. A catfight has broken out between two Korean girls. They seem very pissed. We notice a reasonable amount of fresh blood on the stairwell as we’re leaving.

Back to the beach with three friends (all girls… and I didn’t plan it that way, I swear). Eat solid – or should I say “tasty” – Mexican food in a back alley of the beach. Walking on the sand, a young Korean dude with an ear-piece and a clipboard stops me, says they filming a movie and that I’m in the… “Oh, yeah, cool man,” I interrupt. “You want me to be in the movie. Okay, I’ll do it, just tell me where you need me.” Strangely, he laughs and shakes his head (I honestly wasn’t expecting a sense of humor).

Chill in the water, chill on the beach, run into Ryan again, head back. Twelve of us go out for Italian. It’s like 6 bucks for a massive bowl of pasta with shrimp and cream sauce. This place is the shit. Life is extremely good.

No comments: